Art, in one form or another, has been part of Nigel Morgan’s life since the age of five. His earliest art inspirations were the few, but impactful illustrations in the Encyclopedia Britannica. Although most of the images were black and white at that time, the colored sections, especially those that depicted wildlife, were captivating. As a young novice developing his craft, Trinidadian artist David Moore also inspired Nigel. Moore’s mindfulness in depicting the old ways of Caribbean life were unlike anything Nigel had seen. Soon, he began to follow the works of Norman Rockwell, Thomas Kinkade, Vincent Van Gogh, and William Steig.
As a Communication Design & Illustration major at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, NY, Nigel aspired to become a wildlife illustrator, but teaching began to weave its way into his life, as he was often approached by onlookers while painting in the parks, cafés, and hang-out places throughout Brooklyn. The questions, “Do you teach art? Do you teach kids?” were often asked of him, and it was in the main seating area of the Brooklyn Public Library’s Central Branch that the opportunity to teach youth, adults and older adults was presented to him.
Teaching art is something that Nigel has grown increasingly enthusiastic about. Grateful for the influence and wisdom imparted by the many instructors in his life, Nigel sees it as a privilege to give back to the community in which he lives and was educated.
In September of 2023, I suffered a stroke that kept me in the hospital for nearly two months. The road to recovery was difficult, filled with moments of frustration, uncertainty, and weakness. Yet even in that valley, the Lord was merciful to me. The stroke affected my right side, but in His providence, I am left-handed. What the enemy may have intended to take me into a dark place, God used instead to remind me of something I had too easily forgotten—the brevity and fragility of life. Experiences like these have a way of stripping away distractions and bringing into focus what truly matters.
Recovery was not easy, but through it all, God gave me the grace to see that He had never lost control. Even when I could not understand what was happening, He was still in charge. Looking back, I can see His hand carrying me through some of the hardest moments of my life. I came through that experience stronger, wiser, more grateful, and with a deeper understanding that every day I am given is a gift from Him.
That experience awakened something deep within me. If I am going to fulfill what I believe God has called me to do, I cannot wait for a “better time” or a “more convenient season.” The time is now. Life is too short, and God’s purposes are too precious to delay. I must use whatever gifts He has placed in my hands—however small or simple they may seem—to serve others, encourage those around me, and glorify the One who preserved my life.
I believe my calling is to share God’s Word through art. Art is more than something I create; it is one of the ways God has given me to communicate His truth, His love, His mercy, and the hope found in Him. My desire is that each work I create might point beyond the artist to the Creator and perhaps touch someone who needs to be reminded that, even in life’s darkest valleys, God is still present, God is still faithful, and God is still in control.